For more indepth information please refer to our 'Parish Profile'.
In 1916, a small group of eight people met together on Sunday afternoons for Bible Study. In 1919, when the numbers increased, they rented the Community Hall on Kingdom Street
By 1922, the group had grown sufficiently in number to need their own meeting house. A plot of land at the corner of Scarlett Road and Kingdom Street was purchased in 1923, and a small frame building used as an Anglican Church in Malton was transported to the new site.
In April, 1954, the church was faced with an enormous challenge –Hurricane Hazel. The people of St. Matthias quickly responded to the situation. The little frame church became the centre of the Search and Rescue Operations.
It became obvious in the mid-1950s that the tiny frame church on Scarlett Rd. was too small for the increasing parish membership and a new church was built in response to the expansion and growth in the Etobicoke area. Work began on the new building in 1957and The Service of Dedication was celebrated on February 24, 1958.
In the ensuing years St Matthias was very active with all of the new families in Central Etobicoke. The demographics of the area have changed and St Matthias is now a smaller adult lifestyle congregation discerning a direction for ministry in 2011 and beyond.